☛ Oliver Perez started yesterday's St. Lucie Mets game. In 5.2 innings, he gave up two runs and two hits while walking three and striking out seven. That's an improvement over his previous start on June 30 when he gave up four runs in six innings. His St. Lucie record is now 1-1. I hope Perez does well enough to interest another team in trading for him, a move that I doubt Minaya will make after investing $30-something millions in Perez over three years. That move and the contract Minaya gave to Castillo magnifies Minaya's sometimes illogical player moves.
☛ The Mets have signed their 12th-round draft choice, Bret Mitchell, a right-handed pitcher out of Minnesota State University - Mankato. He appeared in 16 games, starting 14, pitching in 94 innings.
Among the Mavericks four starters, he
- had the highest ERA (4.31),
- tied for the most wins (10),
- gave up the most hits (96) and earned runs (45),
- walked the most batters (33).
Further, of the starters,
- opposing hitters had the highest batting average against him: .258;
- he surrendered the fewest homeruns (3);
- he struck out the most batters (108).
Last season, on four different occasions, he struck out 11 batters in a game.