Thursday, August 2, 2007

Big night for the Big Club

Yesterday, a Single-A pitcher who hadn't lost did, a Double-A reliever saved his 22nd game, a Triple-A pitcher who had disappeared from the pitching scene reappeared, and a Big Club starter who got bombed in his first two innings calmed down and notched his tenth win.

Single-A: In Lowell, MA, Brooklyn starter Dillon Gee picked up his first defeat in the Cyclones 2-0 loss. Gee gave up both two runs. Tim Stronach followed Gee, pitching three innings of hitless relief. Gee's ERA is still under 2.00 (1.91); however, Stronach's is even better at 1.26.

Double-A: Binghamton won at home, 5-2, beating the Trenton Thunder, a Yankees farm team. The B-Mets scored all five runs in the sixth as 10 batters came to the plate. Left fielder Jamar Hill's line-drive single to center in the big inning was one of his three hits, elevating his batting average to .357.

Reliever Carlos Muniz saved another game, his 22nd, for the cellar dwellers. Only
Connecticut 's Brian Anderson has more, 23. In third place is ex-Met Matt Peterson, who now pitches for Altoona.

Triple-A: Philip Humber, who hadn't pitched for the Zephyrs since July 22, started and pitched four innings. Rumor has it that he had food poisoning. The Zepher's media relations guy failed to return a request for information about Humber's absence.

Humber did well in his return. In four innings he gave up just two hits and a run, though his control was a bit erratic. He walked four. His successor did even better. Willie Collazo held Sacramento run-less to gain his fifth win and lower his ERA to 3.05. In the 93 degree heat, the two Mets threw a lot of pitches, 136. Humber threw 76 of them. The Mets won 4-1.

Majors: Oliver Pérez started last night's Mets game "hyper," according to catcher Ramon Castro, and was lucky to last past the second inning after giving up five runs in the first two. One was Prince Fielder's first inning, three-run blast off the center-field scoreboard that, fortunately, didn't disable it. But then, Pérez settled down, not allowing another run and only two singles during his final four innings while striking out seven, all swinging, including Fielder. He finished the game with 11 K's, his season high.

Fortunately, the bottom of the Mets order saved them from defeat. Ramon Castro hit a three-run shot in the second. Marlon Anderson, starting in center field in place of Lastings Milledge, drove in four runs, three with a third-inning homer. And Shawn Green sent one into the seats in the sixth.

Guillermo Mota pitched last night as he should have the night before when Glavine was seeking his 300th win, giving up no runs, no hits, and no walks in two innings of work. He even struck out Fielder. Did the pressure get to him the night before?

No comments:

Post a Comment